The Robert Raben Health Equity Innovation Award Competition 2022
June 07, 2022
Applications due: Friday, June 24, 2022 at 5:00 pm EST
Upcoming Informational Webinar: Tuesday, May 31, 2022 – 2PM EST, details below.
About The Award:
In honor of the visionary work of Robert Raben, the Satcher Health Leadership Institute (SHLI) introduces the inaugural Health Equity Innovation Award Competition. The Health Equity Innovation Award will be granted annually to an individual or organization that demonstrates innovative, forward-thinking solutions to support the conditions necessary for achieving health equity in the United States.
SHLI is seeking quality concept proposals that describe innovative, timely, high-impact projects and solutions to addressing health inequities and advancing health equity in the United States. Up to five (5) applicants will be selected as finalists to compete in a Shark Tank-style virtual pitch competition. One finalist will be selected and receive an award in the amount of $10,000.00 to complete an innovation project within twelve (12) months.
Young adults aged 18-29 who are affiliated with an academic institution, business, or other organization are invited to apply for the Innovation Award. Organizations who have a track record of supporting health equity are strongly encouraged to apply.
Project Areas of Interest:
SHLI is interested in supporting innovative approaches to critically examine and address health inequities in the United States. Innovation projects can be focused on any social, health, environmental, human service, or policy issue. We are amenable to diverse project types, including but not limited to:
- Social policy campaigns and initiatives
- Health promotion projects or interventions
- Small research projects
- New technologies and new applications for existing technologies (e.g., software applications, mobile devices, wearables, clinical devices, decision support, etc.)
- Media projects (e.g. photo, video, mass media)
- Other projects displaying innovation and a commitment to advance health equity.
An information webinar will be hosted via Zoom on Tuesday, May, 31 2022, 2PM EST. All prospective applicants are strongly encouraged to attend the webinar and ask questions. A recording of the webinar will be posted on the award webpage for reference
Tuesday, May 31, 2022
02:00 – 3:00 PM Eastern Time
Register in advance for this meeting:
- Concept Proposal: All applicants will submit a brief concept proposal (3 pages max, single-spaced) describing their innovative project and its anticipated impact
- Brief Budget: A brief preliminary budget describing line item costs and expenses to carry out the project if funded. The maximum award budget is $10,000.00.
- Submit Application: Access the submission portal (https://redcap.link/RabenAward) to submit all application documents.
- Applications are due by Friday, June 24, 2022 at 5:00 pm EST. Please contact us via email at [email protected] if you encounter any issues with the submission portal.
Application Review and Virtual Pitch Competition:
All completed applications will be reviewed and scored by a diverse panel of health equity professionals. Five (5) applicants will be selected to participate in a virtual Shark Tank-style pitch competition. Each finalist will deliver a 5-minute time pitch to a panel of health equity experts and then respond to questions from the panel and the audience. One (1) finalist will be selected as the winner of the Health Equity Innovation Award.
Upcoming Informational Webinar: Tuesday, May 31, 2022 – 2pm EST
Applications Due: June 24, 2022
Decision Letters: (date to be announced)
Virtual Pitch Competition: (date to be announced)
Application Materials & Resources:
Please contact [email protected] with any questions or concerns related to the Robert Raben Health Equity Innovation Award. Please include “Robert Raben Award” in the subject line.
Jammie Hopkins, DrPH, MS, MSCR
Satcher Health Leadership Institute
Email: [email protected]